Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Coolest Thing I've Seen (today at least...)

I'm not a big "go green" person. I mean I'm pro it, but I don't do crazy things to try to be green. I use recycled paper/post its, I recycle my ink cartridges, and I do have re-usable shopping bags (and I remember to take them to the grocery most of the time). But today I became a fan of Printworks multipurpose paper! They apparently feel very strongly about replacing the trees they use to make paper and are doing their best to do something about it. I was pulling out paper today to put in my printer when out came a small ziplock baggie of seeds! They actually include seeds in each reem of paper so you can go plant them! How cool is that?!



Pretty sweet huh? I guess the flip/cynical side of this is that the company is trying to deflect any blame or criticism for cutting down trees. "You got a problem with us? Plant a tree!" Or perhaps they're just trying to get their customers to provide more trees for them to cut down & use to make paper. Can't you just see the execs up in their offices, "Hmm...how can we appear to be environmentally friendly and also get our customers to do the planting work for us? Ahha! We'll give them seeds...two birds with one stone!" A little ironic isn't it? They give you seeds just so in a few years they can cut down the trees. Hmmm.

Well, I still think it's pretty sweet. They won me over.

4 comments:

jana.kaye said...

Pretty awesome? do blue spruces grow anywhere in the US? That's the only problem I forsee....But I think you should plant them discreetly all around the campus you are currently on.

jana.kaye said...

er, that was supposed to be a "pretty awesome!" Not a question. You could also plant them in small pots and carry them around with you all summer so you can see them grow. The vans have had worse things in them than blue spruce seedlings.

Unknown said...

Very interesting! I might buy them and plant them in my back yard that currently has no trees. But it will take so so long to grow! When do you come to College Station?

Unknown said...

My sister's Keeper is really good although not super happy throughout. I still recommend it -
makes you think.