Thursday, May 05, 2011

Yo quiero delicioso!

In honor of Cinco de Mayo I want to share my new favorite recipe from the Pioneer Woman...


Migas!

You can click on the link on her name above for the original recipe.  I had them a few weeks ago & let me tell you they were delicious!  But when I looked at the recipe I was SHOCKED at how unhealthy it was (12 WW points!).  So I lightened it up & made them about a week later & let me tell you I didn't miss the fat!  Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 4 corn tortillas 
  • 1 jalapeno (diced & seeds removed)
  • 4 roma tomatoes (roughly chopped)
  • 1 green bell pepper (roughly chopped)
  • 1 red bell pepper (roughly chopped)
  • 1 red onion (chopped)
  • 6 large eggs*
  • 1 1/2 cups egg whites*
  • 1 cup reduced fat grated monterey jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
*The original recipe called for 12 large eggs.  I've tried it with 3 C. egg whites (3 points per serving) as well as 6 eggs & 1 1/2 C. egg whites (5 points per serving) & I like the later best (1/4 C. egg white = 1 egg). 

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg white & milk.  Salt & pepper eggs, then set aside.
  2. In a small skillet "fry" tortillas (one at a time) until crisp.  I just sprayed the skillet with spray olive oil & got them crispy.  After they're all "fried" chop & set aside.
  3. In a large skillet (over medium-high) cook onions, bell peppers, & jalapenos.   I seasoned these with fajita seasoning.
  4. Once the peppers & onions are brown/black add tomatoes & tortilla pieces & stir.
  5. Reduce heat to medium & add egg mixture to skillet.  Stir gently till they cook.
  6. Add in grated cheese.  (Add chopped cilantro if you like it--I don't, so I don't!)


Makes 6+ servings.  I've made these twice in the last week & I love them!  Hope you disfrutar de them as much as I do!  :)  Ole!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your Spanish mixed in. I think I may try these this week. Sounds delish. !Que tenga una buena semana!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm!!!! I love that you included the WW points. I'm gonna try this! -Ashley