Monday, March 29, 2010

LASIK: I can SEE!!

I've been wearing corrective lenses of some sort for the last 15ish years (since 5th grade I think). I wore glasses from 5th-8th grade & was happy with them. I had big red-metal framed glasses. I loved them. Had no idea how silly I looked. In 8th grade I decided to try contacts. This was a big deal. To this point I couldn't touch my eyes if my life depended on it. I had to go to the contact/glasses place everyday after school for a week before I was able to get them in my eyes! And I had to wear gas permeable because they were smaller than soft contacts. Finally I got them in. It was a big life adjustment. It took a long time to get them in each day. And they hurt! There's nothing pleasant about hard contacts! After a year I was used to the ordeal & I made the easy switch to soft contacts. Easy schmeasy. Wore those for several years & have been generally happy with them. But for the last couple of years my eye doctor would say, "Let me know whenever you want to talk about LASIK." And I would say, "Oh no, it was a HUGE deal for me to even put contacts in my eyes & I would never choose to have surgery, so no, LASIK is not for me."

In the last few weeks though, it suddenly occurred to me...a 5 minute procedure could mean I never have to put in contacts again! So I started talking to people & realized a lot more people had had it done than I thought! And the vast majority said it was the best thing they'd ever done. So I decided I could do it. It would be a growing experience. And....I'd be able to see!!

So I went for my annual eye doctor appointment & said I was ready to talk. They told me I was a great candidate for LASIK. I'm in my 20's, my eyes were in a good range (-3.25 & -3.50) & I don't have astigmatism. I took out my contacts for 3 days so my eyes could be measured (funny side story--the machine that takes a map to read any mis-shapeness in your eyes couldn't read my eyes because they were perfectly smooth). And my surgery was scheduled for later that week (this past Thursday)!

My surgery was scheduled for 11:40am on Thursday. My mom came in from Houston to be my driver/take care of me for the day. I got there & they gave me some valium to calm me down. I got to sit in a recliner for about a half hour to let it take effect. In my mind, I figured I could tell when the meds kicked in because I wouldn't be anxious anymore. I was still nervous when I went into the OR. They numbed my eyes it was great because I couldn't feel a thing! There was a nurse whose whole job was to hold my hand & I was SO thankful for her because being awake & knowing what they were doing to me was a bit freaky. The laser part was just like looking at a dull flashing light for about a minute. But the eye flap thing was mentally painful. But it was over so quick it was ok! I went home, took 1 of the 2 sleeping pills they gave me, slept for a couple hours, woke up, had some minor discomfort (like the feeling of wearing hard contacts or having an eyelash or piece of dirt in your eye). But I went back to sleep, woke up & ate dinner, took the 2nd sleeping pill, slept from 7pm-8am & woke up a new person! I went for my day-after eye appointment & could see 20/30 in my right eye & 20/35 in my left. They said my eyes looked great! I drove to Houston that afternoon!

I go back this Thursday to get my eyes checked again. I think my right eye is 20/20 now & my left probably 20/30. It's been more dry than my right & they say as the eye heals & the dryness goes away my vision will get better. I couldn't be more happy with the was the surgery went! I've had no other discomfort and no itchy eyes (which people said was a side-effect). I LOVE not having to put contacts in or take them out. I LOVE not wearing glasses! I LOVE being able to see as soon as I wake up! And I'm actually loving not being able to wear eye makeup (I can't for a week after surgery). It's a great excuse for why I look tired! :)

Holy cow, this was one long post. That's what happens when I type while watching The Amazing Race & Ugly Betty! So anyway, I HIGHLY recommend LASIK! I can give you more details if you are interested in it. I'm praying for 20/20 vision in both eyes by Thursday so they don't want to "tweak" my eyes again. It's been a much easier process than I thought it would be but I don't want to start the healing process again! Pray with me, will you?

So that's that. Happy Resurrection Week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So exciting Holly! I am so glad that you can see now.