The weather has gotten warm, the grass is getting green again, my roses are blooming...it's spring! In efforts to build my arsenal of "things I know how to do for myself" I bought a lawn mower a few weeks ago. I was a little bit daunted by this task. I'd never mowed in my entire life. I did some research online & decided on a "reel" mower--it doesn't have a motor or use gas. I found a "green lawn care"
website that recommended 2 brands--one they sold at Home Depot & the other was only sold online--it's called a Prison Mower--it's for inmates to use to mow at a prison! Crazy. As much fun as it would have been to own one of those, I went with the one I could get a Home Depot. I had to convince two men who worked there that I was indeed serious I wanted a reel mower & that I was capable of using it! And as soon as I got home, I put it together (by myself!) and
mowed! Take that Home Depot dudes! It takes a little more effort than an electric or gas powered one & it doesn't go through tall weeds (I do them by hand) but it mows & I am happy with it.
After mowing last weekend I sat out &
read in my back yard--I decided I needed to add to my arsenal & learn how to plant plants. So this weekend I went to a co-op/nursery & bought Salvia (aka "Hot Lips") and Knockout Roses. Both were highly recommended as drought resistant, sun resistant & low maintenance--my kind of plants! I planted them this weekend--I should have taken some pictures--it's dark outside now, I'll do it later.
I do have some other pictures to share! Two youth leaders & I took some of our junior high girls on a picnic this weekend. There was a huge field of bluebonnets & we stopped to take some pictures. Here's the 8th grade girl leaders, Jenna, Venessa & I.

I'm going to Memphis this week for Bethany's (one of my college roommates) wedding! Ashley (another roommie) & I are driving up Wednesday to be there for festivities starting Thursday! Can't wait! :) Happy spring!
2 comments:
We bought some Knockout roses this weekend too! I have been watering them so they won't die and already have some new pretty blooms. I actually kind of like gardening. Hope yours grow too!
I agree and would love to see you this summer! We definitly need to get together and wow, I'd love for you to come and help me paint! Maybe we could get Katie to come and visit too. Last half of June would be a good time for me. When do you go on the DR trip?
Post a Comment