Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Salsa Recipe

Once I came to terms with the fact that I can eat an entire carton of salsa in 24 hours I started making my own!  Since it's a zero point snack it's ok to eat the entire thing in 24 hours, but it's more budget friendly to make your own than to keep buying it!  :)

Here's my recipe (it's easy to customize to your own likings!):  (makes about 40 oz of salsa--fits in my 1.75qt. pyrex bowl perfectly!)

  • 3 cans (drained) diced tomato* (sometimes I use plain, sometimes chipotle, sometimes green chili--depends on my mood at the grocery).  
  • 1 T. dried cilantro (I don't love cilantro, feel free to add more or add fresh if you love it!)
  • About 10 slices jalapeño* (I de-seed as much as possible)
  • 1-2 minced garlic cloves*
  • 1 onion (I like purple)
  • 2+ tsp. lime juice (to taste) 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt 
  • 1 green bell pepper
*I keep cans of diced tomato, jared sliced jalapeños & minced garlic in my pantry so I always am ready to make salsa!

Chop all ingredients as fine as possible & put in blender.  Blend/stir/puree until it looks like good salsa!  :)  Refrigerate for several hours (overnight is best) to let all the juices marinate.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

B said...

Are you sure this is the actual recipe? I LOVED your salsa that I ate over Thanksgiving, but I made this and it was not great :(

Do you drain the cans of tomatoes? Are you using fresh or canned jalapenos? No salt or pepper?

Help!

Holly said...

I tweaked it a little bit--try it again! And then submit it to MD!