It’s 5:15pm in Israel as I’m typing this. We just got back to out hotel after a
full & busy day. I ate a fish
with it’s head still on it today.
I saw the “river rats” at the Jordan River that the Duggar girls warned
me about on 19 Kids & Counting.
I’m drinking a glass of pomegranate wine & my mom is talking to my
Aunt Libby about baby Henry Rhodes Matthews who was born this morning (or
yesterday…not sure with all the time & day changes). What more could I ask for? This has been a good day!
We started our day by driving north to Mt Arbel. Nothing significant happened there but
it was a great place to start the day!
We hiked up to the top & looked over the cliffs over all of the
region of Galilee. We saw the city
on the hill that Jesus was probably referring to on the Sermon on the
Mount. Across the Sea of Galilee
we saw the Golan Heights. I felt
like I was at the Grand Canyon (but greener) looking over the cliffs &
trying not to fall off. Super
pretty!
On top of Mt Arbel
Driving down the mountain we saw lots of olive groves, fruit
trees & grain fields. Israel
is so green! It’s easy to
understand why Jesus used agricultural & farming terms in His parables!
We drove through Magdala where we saw excavation sites for
“Mary of Magdala’s Hometown”. We
drove from Mt Arbel to the base of the Mt of the Beatitudes to Peter’s
Primacy--where Jesus commanded Peter, "feed my sheep". I’d shed my outer
layer while on Mt Arbel & when I got off the bus at Peter’s Primacy I hear
everyone say…”where’s Holly? This
is a holy site!” I know, I know! I’d already re-layered! Goodness, sometimes it's hard to be holy. Holy site=covered knees &
shoulders. Peter’s Primacy is on
the north end of the Sea of Galilee, where most Bible scholars believe most of
the Jesus’ ministry took place.
Why? Because this is where
most of the fish are & Jesus called fishermen to be his disciples, so this
is the area the fishermen must have been!
God is so smart! The Sea of
Galilee is beautiful! This morning
it was so calm & peaceful—hard to believe there could be a storm
there! We learned later—while on a
boat on the sea that storms are more prevalent in the afternoon. While on the water we could look around
& see almost every place Jesus’ ministry took place. How small this region is surprised
me!
Peter's Primacy--I'm so holy! :)
Katie Coyle & I on the Sea of Galilee
After our boat ride we went to Capernaum—the city of comfort. We saw the synagogue where Jesus
performed miracles and saw the Catholic Church that sits on top of the
Byzantine Church that sits on top of Peter’s house. (How did the Catholic Church get dibs on building on top of
all these places?) They know it
was Peter’s house because there was a group of Christian’s who lived there
consistently for 300 years after the time of Christ. They met there & had to expand & even tear down some
of the walls because the gathering got so big. The first home church!
Maybe we should tear down part of the Martin’s house to be more like the
early church! Just kidding. :)
Synagogue at Capernaum
Then we drove east across the Jordan River & started going south into the Golan
area. We saw where Jesus cast the
demons out Legion into the herd of swine.
We went to Ein Gev Fish Restaurant who must have the monopoly on serving
lunch to tour groups—it’s the place where you eat the fish with it’s head still
on it. It’s Talapia, aka St.
Peter’s Fish. I just tried not to
look at the head. It wasn’t too
bad. I only ate the middle. Getting too close to the head or tail
kind of weirded me out. I mostly
loaded up on pita & hummus.
St Peter's Fish
Then we drove south west to the Jordan River to Baptism
World—super cool to see people of every tribe, tongue & nation getting
baptized where Jesus did! I didn’t
get baptized—several people in our group did—to be honest, I’d decided not to
do it when I saw the 19 Kids & Counting episode where the Duggars go to
Israel & the girls talk about how gross the river rats are. We saw some & decided they are
nutria. So gross. And HUGE cat fish! I just knew as soon as I would get in
the water one would bite my toe. I
was close enough to the Jordan! It
was awesome seeing people get baptized though—and hear all the different
languages & people around us!
Jordan River nutria. Gross.
Whew…almost done…ok after the baptisms we drove back
north—making a complete circle of the Sea of Galilee in one day—back to our
hotel. I’ve now heard all about
little Henry—my cousin-in-law, Oak is a rockstar from what I’ve heard! Congratulations to Oak & Adam! Henry is precious!
Tomorrow—the Sabbath—we’re staying mostly outdoors. Nothing holy. I’m thankful—it got warm today—it’s hard to be holy when it
gets hot outside! :)
Shabat Shalom!
PS I'm not proof reading this before posting. Sorry for any typos or things that don't make sense. Do your best to figure out what I mean. :)
PPS My mom's & the other woman's suitcases were at the hotel when we arrived last night! PTL!
PS I'm not proof reading this before posting. Sorry for any typos or things that don't make sense. Do your best to figure out what I mean. :)
PPS My mom's & the other woman's suitcases were at the hotel when we arrived last night! PTL!

2 comments:
way to go on eating St.Peter's fish! i could not bring myself to do it-so i had pizza there :)
fun to read where you go! some places are different from where we went and some are the same!
-Bethany (BK)
LOVE hearing about everything! Fantastic!
Post a Comment