Sunday, August 21, 2011

Just call me Miss Crafty McGee

Whew after redoing my living room life got super crazy!  With kids being on summer break we've doing youth events out the wazoo & I've been out of town with my family or had friends come visit on the weekends...been super fun but also busy!  Well there's 12 days until the fall semester at church starts so I've been a busy busy bee trying to get things done before things get hectic again.  Behold I give you the August Craft Collection!

First is a corsage/hair clip combo I made for a baby shower honoree.  I kind of followed this tutorial to make the flower.  I starched the fabric before cutting, gathering & sewing the petals together to give it a little more stability.  I then hot glued a baby hair clip to the back.  I found this great feather hat pin at Hobby Lobby & fixed it so the flower clip attaches to the feather base (and added some feathers to the side to give it some more pizazz).  The mom can wear it as a corsage at the shower & then unclip the flower & put it in the baby's hair!  I think it's brilliant!  :)  I also made a little mini clip since I had left over fabric.  


Can you see how the flower is clipped to the feather base?

Another view--how cool are those polka dot feathers?  

Next, I made/decorated some onsies to give as baby gifts!  I've been wanting to try this for a while & finally got the nerve to buy all the supplies & am really pleased with how they turned out!  I used this stuff called Heat & Bond on the back of the fabric appliques & then hand sewed them on.  Probably could have machine sewed but these are 3-6mos onsies & let me tell you they are weeny teeny!  I did sew ruffles to the back.  What's not cute about a ruffle bottom onsie?!  Love them!  

Gig'em Aggies!  Got to have your game day outfit!  

Who doesn't love flowers & cupcakes?

This is for the baby who's mom is getting the corsage.  Matches the big (and little) flower clip.

Then I made a new wreath for the front door.

The flowers match the pillows on my couch!  
They are also so big that they get squished between the door & screen door.  But I still love them.  

I also made these clothes pins for my desk at work--my desk borders a metal file cabinet & I wanted some cute magnets to be able to hang things--voila!  I modpodged scrap book paper to these clothes pins & hot glued a magnet on the back--perfect!


Lastly, my unfinished project!  I guess you could say I've been working on this quilt for years.  I started back when I lived in Midland (2 years ago).   I collected, washed & began cutting up my t-shirts from college.  Then they all went in some bags until this past month.  I pulled them out, googled some instructions, found a picture I liked & figured out how to do it without buying the how-to book!  In the process I learned why people charge like $400 to make one of these!  I actually have sewed the whole front & now just haven't decided yet how I want to do the back.  My goal (and posting it online is supposed to help keep me accountable to it) is to finish in the next 12 days.  We'll see!  Here's how it looked when it was all laid out right before I started sewing.  It'll be a full/queen size quilt.  I'm actually really pleased with how it has turned out so far!  


12 more days & a few more projects!  Happy first day of school eve to everyone else!  :) 


2 comments:

abby maeger said...

I love your crafts Holly! Great job :) Can't wait to see the finished t-quilt too. You can do it! :)

Unknown said...

Ooooh I love them all! Way to go on the corsage - that's adorable. And I love the wreath. Happy next few days of crafting!